The entrance is t the summit of a climb, in the main square in Monteforte d’Alpone, next to the loggia with round arches supported by marble columns. Beyond the elegant portal of the early sixteenth century, with the emblem of Cardinal Marco Cornaro, we find on the left the fourteenth century tower, supported by stone pillars and bricks.
A little further is the gateway to the cloister, surrounded by red marble columns. The corner columns show the episcopal insignia and the noble ring of bishop Ermolao Barbaro. At the center of the courtyard you can admire the marble well, flanked by two columns that support the pulley, taking water from the cistern below.
On the walls of the cloister there are three tombstones; the dark marble one, located in the northern side, attests the works done between 1808 and 1815 by Bishop Innocent Liruti. The other two are foreign to the palace. One is the tombstone of the archpriest of Monteforte Giovanni Venturi, who died in 1623, the other reminds the reconstruction of the Alpone bridge, in 1732 at the expense of the bishop Francesco Trevisani.
At the eastern side of the cloister begins the staircase leading to the upper loggia, surrounded by red marble columns that support the architrave.
All around there are numerous rooms, which were once used to host the bishops with their retinue. The most interesting rooms are located in the southern side, where there’s a lounge with a beautiful wooden ceiling of the fifteenth century. The room next door is adorned with good empire-style decor, attributable to Don Leonardo Manzati, while the tempera of an unknown author with scenes from the life of Jesus and the basilica of St. Peter dates back to the late nineteenth century.
Both the ante and the bedroom are well decorated . The chapel, built inside the Gothic tower, has an arched roof and is embellished by a fresco of the “Birth of the Virgin”, excellent copy of the painting executed in 1534 by Francesco Torbido in the presbytery of the Cathedral of Verona, on behalf of the bishop Giberti. Outside the chapel it is placed a valuable sculpture of the Madonna and Child dating back to the XIII-XIV century.
Descending the stairs, visit the back side of the building with the fine portal built by Bishop Giberti. Passing under the portal, you enter the enoteca-restaurant, located in the old bishop’s cellars. In the low arch stands the coat of arms in marble of bishop Ermolao Barbaro.